Cadwell Whitepaper: The Case for Neuromuscular Ultrasound
Recent developments in high-frequency ultrasound imaging technology have resulted in neuromuscular ultrasound (NMUS) becoming another important component of neurodiagnostic evaluations. Ultrasound can help diagnose common entrapment neuropathies and localize other nerve problems. Combined with EMG or NCS, you can increase your diagnostic certainty quickly, safely, and without patient discomfort.
Use Sierra NMUS1 for musculoskeletal ultrasound
Musculoskeletal ultrasound (MSK US) is a dynamic diagnostic tool for assessing soft tissue, muscles, cartilage, ligaments, and joints. MSK US dynamically visualizes passive and active movement to help evaluate slide, rotation, tension, clicking, mobility range, and tissue/bone conflicts.
Sierra NMUS1 Ultrasound now provides the high resolution needed to assess tissue’s echogenicity, structure, borders, nature, size, behavior, and the ratio of and proximity to other structures, especially vessels and nerves.
MSK US with Sierra NMUS1 can help assess:
- Targeted compression
- Vascular supply
- Resilience or elasticity of fluid reservoirs or tissues, i.e. scar maturity
- Metabolic activity
Real-time MSK US
- Dynamic visualization
- Ability to see moving tissue
- Ability to see vascular flow with Doppler imaging
- Protect target and surrounding soft tissue structures in diagnostic and therapeutic needle guidance procedures
Safe, portable, and cost-effective Sierra NMUS1
- No ionizing radiation
- Can be used with metallic implants
- No claustrophobia, as with other imaging modalities
- No restrictions or known adverse effects
- Instant feedback of results
- Enhance safety and accuracy in needle procedures
Sierra NMUS1 can show:
- Muscle fasciculations and fibrillations
- Atrophy and hypertrophy
- Changes in quantitative muscle echointensity
- Dynamic visualization of moving tissue
- Vascular flow with Doppler imaging
- Structures in diagnostic and therapeutic needle guidance procedures, to protect both the target and surrounding soft tissue structures
- Reference standards
Clinical indications for EMG/NCS + NMUS*
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Inflammatory myopathies
- Intraneural ganglion cysts
- Muscular dystrophy
- Nerve and muscle trauma
- Nerve transections and lesions
- Neurogenic muscle atrophies
- Peripheral nerve entrapments and tumors
- Therapeutic injections of botulinum toxin, steroids, and biopsies of nerves and muscles
*Cited from AANEM Position Statement: Neuromuscular Ultrasound Qualifications (2014). Walker, Alter, et al.
Download materials, get software updates, and request hardware and software features
Shop for all the EMG electrodes and accessories you need
Explore Cadwell EDX products
The Sierra® family of products are the ideal solution for Chemodenervation, EMG, EPs, NCS, Ultrasound, and Electrodiagnostics in Urology.
Request an EMG, NCS, EP, and Ultrasound Demonstration
Product availability may vary between different countries and markets.
Please contact Cadwell for additional information.